Friday, March 22, 2013

Cancer... Who's fight is it anyway

Cancer is everywhere, we read stats and warnings. We eat good food, we stay fit, we all do what we can to prevent it.
When it enters your life there are things that can not be controlled, Cancer has a mind of it's own, goes where it wants, does what it wants and kills who it wants.
My first recollection of cancer was when I was around 16 or 17 years old, my Opa (Grandfather in Dutch) was diagnosed with it. He had it in his neck and spread to his lungs and head. His passing was a loss to the family and I missed him as I grew up. He would come over the pond every two years or so and visit for our summer vacations and do what most grandparents do, spoil us, swim, and tell us stories.
I was young and didn't really grasp the impact that is caused by cancer or the sickness, the tiresome days and endless nights till my Mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer for the third time.
My wife moved in with her parents to help, such a simple statement but so far from reality it is not even funny.
Watching a loved one die is and has to be the hardest thing a human can face, you have to be strong for them, help them do simple things like drink water, eat food, go to restroom, or have a bath.
In my mother in laws case to the point where the nurse's aid would not change her dressings on her breasts as they were rotting off her body filled with open wounds. It became a full time job for my wife and I to take care of her and my wifes younger siblings. We cooked, cleaned, bandaged, nursed, shopped, everyday for 6 months till she passed away. We arranged the funeral, wake, burial and plot. We placed her under a huge oak tree facing east, we cried and cried, we miss her very much.
Two of my aunts passed in the last year from cancer, and again the feelings from my Mother In Law came over my wife and I. What can be done to help others that will go through this, time heals all I'm told but you never forget.
This year I am going to do some singlehanded racing in memory of my family who has been taken from cancer. I need your help to do this I will be in the LO300 , Amherst island roundup, loyalist to Olcott solo race for the 2013 season and am asking for family and friends to pledge something to help fight cancer. 
Cancer can be beaten, we all have to help somehow and I am going to be fl;ying my pink flag in hopes that others will help me.
If you can help with a donation please do, say a prayer, tell a friend give what you can.
Those that donate will get a big thank you, bigger donations will receive on the water updates, choice of pictures and be mentioned on the video of each race, T shirts will be made up with the names of those that donated, This blog will mention each and everyone who helps us to help find a cure.
If you can find it in your heart to give please do and I need all the help I can get.


S/V Knotty Gurl will be doing her part to beat the odds in all the races as we will be the smallest at 26 feet with the average being 34 feet in length.

2 comments:

  1. bill,
    let us know what you need, and how much $$ you need to raise. The Dock has got your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we could raise the Cancer research 2600.00 or more that would be fantastic.
      As you know the LO300 is non stop which would be almost 2.5 days for me, the other two are 125nm a full 25 hours and 175 nm 1.5 days also both nonstop.
      bljones, thanks for the support, and may we both help fight cancer with our sailing friends.

      Delete