Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The beginning ...


Suntack on hard April 12 2011
 Some background of where we are today, I found our Grampian 26 in an ad and drove out to Port Dover, ON to have a look at her. The day I arrived it was blowing 10 - 15 knots with gusts to 20. This was going to make for really good sea trials and get a good feel for the boat. I meet the Previous Owner (PO) and we chat for a minute or so and he is telling me it's to windy for his liking and wants to postpone for another day.
Another day, did he somehow forget I just drove 7 hours to get here.

It's all good I say, I'll single hand the sea trial then no biggy.
We drive over to the office and arrange the lift to drop her in and grab a few items that will be needed for the trial and as well for the sail back to Picton, ON. We begin getting the boat ready, installing and setting the main sail, then putting on the working jib. Fill the tank with high test gas, toss in some water in the tank, throw some water in the holding tank and flush a 5 gallon pail through the head. Spin the sea cocks back and forth tug on the hoses's to make sure there fastened tight and start looking for water in the bilge.
Launch time
The lift shows up and the fella says to me " You have an hour max or we wont be able to get you back on the hard. You will be stuck in the water for the night.

Curiously I ask why,, Well theres a big storm coming in and it may be too windy then to move you. Fair enough sounds as good a reason as any and I tell the fella No Probs be back in an hour so he starts to pick her up and trek across the marina to the launch dock.
Trekking across the marina
We get picked up, moved to the launch dock and dropped into the water, once in I say to the operator hold it there for a minute I have to check her for leaks before we drop the slings. A quick look shows no water yet so lets loose the slings and get started. The PO is with me and we board her together and make our way to the transient docking area where I can start to get ready to head out and drop the PO with lines to wait for me.
Hugh on the tiller, it was his last time at the helm.
Wind is easy 20 knots and I motor down the fairway to the entrance markers, and start raising sail, first the jib, then the main sail, shut down the outboard start trimming sails. Instantly we start healing and the sails filled with a good blow she feels like she just hole shotted out of the entrance and we were off, waves were 4 feet and getting bigger, wind was picking up sooner then expected and she was really starting to blow, a tack and winching were moving along and heading out to do a trial. Trial it was, I was now getting over powered by the wind and could feel it just a blowing right at me, so another tack and were heading in on a nice beam reach riding in the now 6 foot waves and just surfing fast stern raising high and that roll down the wave busting through the waves as it wiped by me. Great ride in she handled like a heavy weather boat should and reformed as I had hoped.
Back at the launch and she is picked up and dropped on the cradle.
I paid for her over our coffee at the local timmies and shook hands with Hugh, said my fair well and would call him next week when I come back to take her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment